Braised Mustard Greens Stuffed Sirloin


Well, I had planned to grill out on my Tuscan Grill last night, but alas, tornado weather calls the shots and inside on the stovetop it is. Not to worry. Improvisational cooking is what I live for. I have a plan and have prepared ahead of time. I had already picked some beautiful mustard greens from the garden. Not sure what I was going to do with them, but they were so crisp and green, they were just begging to be cut and cooked. And, I had already marinated the meat in anticipation of testing the recipe that would become the night's meal.

Creating new recipes is my love. I can almost taste the flavor of the dish even before it is done, but there is always the moment of hesitation when I wonder if my trusty palette might just let me down. Thankfully, I am loving this recipe. It reminds me of the roadside ristorante Smith & I ate at just off the highway exit in Tuscany. An unexpected cowboy cookery serving nothing but lots of different cuts of meat from the grill and hearty green leafy sides {contorni}. This recipe is my version of that experience, all in one bite and minus the hardwood smoked grill taste.
Still delicious and my new rainy day love.

BRAISED GARDEN MUSTARD GREENS STUFFED SIRLOIN

1 Sirloin 1-2# about 2 inches thick.
4 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cups mustard greens, cut and washed
2 tsp. Porcini & Parsley Aromatic Savory Salt {Bella Cucina product, but you can subsitute with salt & Pepper}
1/2 cup chicken or veal stock
1 lemon

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Cut the sirloin half as thick by cutting crosswise, and keeping it intact into one piece.




To saute the greens:
Heat 2 Tablespoons of the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the greens and saute just until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool.
Open up the meat and sprinkle evenly with 1 tsp. of the porcini salt. Place the sauteed greens on the shortest end of the side of the meat. Roll up the meat tightly, like a jelly roll. Tie the meat securely with butcher string. Sprinkle the rolled up meat with the remaining 1 tsp. porcini salt.





Heat the remaining 2 Tablespoons of the oil {in the same pan used for the greens} over medium high heat. Sear the meat on all sides until it is caramelized to a golden brown.
Place the pan in the oven and cook until done, about 10-12 minutes. The inside should still be pink, as the meat will continue to cook. Let rest for 5 minutes.


While the meat is resting, deglaze the pan juices over medium heat by a
dding the stock. Scrape up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Strain the pan juices and keep warm.

Cut the meat into into 1/2 inch slices.
I just love the vibrant green color in the middle of the meat!

Serve with a wedge of fresh lemon and spoon the pan juices on the plate.

Buon appetito!
copyright 2009 Alisa Barry

1 comment:

The Italian Dish said...

I so love to stuff food! I'll add this to my recipe file! What a great summer dish.