Italian Calendula and Chive Scrambled Eggs


No doubt you have heard of the famous French omelette with Fines Herbes. It is a staple on every French menu and eaten elegantly by discriminating Parisian women while sipping a Sancerre in her Chanel suit as a late afternoon lunch. That scene is something I love to savor- hoping that I will be half as elegant when I am that age.

Since I am not off to Paris anytime soon, I figured I would do the next best thing - make my own version at home. When it comes to cooking, I prefer a more casual style. I have never perfected the omelette, so I settled for making the perfect scrambled egg.

My eggs are made with a splash of milk or cream, which gives them a light and fluffy texture. I use a whisk to aerate the eggs, then turn off the heat just before they are done and let them cook to perfection in the hot pan. Oh, and only real european butter will do here. {Have to retain some of that Frenchy goodness!}

The secret ingredient is my new favorite condiment on the Bella Cucina line- Italian Calendula & Chive Aromatic Savory Salt. Always inspired by ingredients, I created this salt because I love the golden straw color and interesting nutty taste of the calendula petals. The chives give the salt an earthy, herbaceous quality that pairs perfectly with the calendula. A bit of cheese is optional- a dot of fresh ricotta or toma soft Italian cheese or grating of Parmigiano Reggiano . Keep it light so the eggs really shine. Needless to say, organic eggs are always best.

So, whether you long for a day in Paris, or just want to eat a darn good egg dish, try this easy recipe anytime of the day.
I think MFK Fisher would be pleased.


ITALIAN CALENDULA & CHIVE SCRAMBLED EGGS
{for one}

* The salt is not yet on the website, but you can call the Bella Cucina retail store to order: 800.580. 5674

2 whole eggs, organic are always best
1 Tablespoon milk or cream
1 tsp. Italian Calendula and Chive salt
1 Tablespoon cheese * optional
1 Tablespoon European unsalted butter

In a small bowl, break up the eggs with a fork. Add the milk and salt and combine until smooth. If making with cheese, add it now.

In a small {non stick} skillet, heat the butter over medium heat until melted. Pour in the egg mixture. Let the eggs set, then gently whisk the eggs slowly, occasionally, until they are almost done to the texture and temperature you prefer {about 1 -2 minutes.} Turn off the heat and let sit 30 seconds.

Optional: garnish with pea shoots or chiffonade of arugula greens and/or grated Parmesan cheese.


Buon appetito!
copyright 2009 Alisa Barry

No comments: