Back to Basics


The beauty of these times is that is an opportunity to get back to the basics.
Not the bare bones back to basics that feels like we are lacking, but the kind that reminds us what really matters in our lives. The simple things that enhance our lives everyday. More people are staying at home and finding ways to eat and entertain easily and inexpensively, and maintain a delicious quality of life. These are what I call life's simple luxuries.

"Food is the easiest way to enhance our lives everyday."

Times are stressful enough, so make your life a little less stressed by feeding yourself well. Like most things, when we buy good quality, we have a more qualitative experience, so we don't feel the need to over indulge or buy in excess.

Some of the foods/ingredients I love that nurture and nourish:

- Sparkling water. I keep it chilled in the refrigerator. Soda can be an unhealthy way to quench my thirst {it doesn't} so if I have sparkling water around, I will satisfy myself in a healthy way

- Parmesan Cheese. There is no substitute for the real deal. This is a perfect example that good quality means you can use less.

- Good old fashioned sweet cream butter. No substitutes, please. A creamy European butter is what I love. I especially love to fold in Tuscan Rose & Pink Peppercorn salt and spread on toasted crostini or flatbread.

- Organic farm fresh Eggs. When in a pinch, there is no better meal than scrambled eggs for me. Fry up some applewood smoked bacon, and I've got an MFK Fisher feast, anytime of the day!

-Fresh cream. See above. Scrambled eggs just ain't the same without a splash of this luxury ingredient. Don't be afraid to indulge. A little goes a long way.

- Prosecco. I don't care if it's called the poor man's champagne. I love my bubbly Italian style. Can't beat the flavor for the price.

Starting to get the idea? Don't scrimp on the quality of your life. Invest in the "back to basics" good things that enhance your life at home. The kitchen is always a good place to start.....and end the day.





Buon appetito!
copyright 2009 Alisa Barry

No comments: