Afternoon Riposa


One of my favorite things do in cities I love to visit is have an afternoon riposa. It is a moment of respite and relaxation from a day of walking, shopping or touring. When the weather cooperates, I seek out sidewalk cafes or bars with windows flung open to the street so I can still be a part of the city, just now as a observer instead of participant. A caffe latte is the perfect afternoon cooler in the summer heat. In winter, I nestle myself by the window with the comfort of warm shawl tossed about my shoulders.
A caffe latte is a warming sip of comfort in the cold winter months.
Anytime, it is a repose from the day and place to find refuge and quiet from the hustle and bustle of busy schedules and must-do agendas.

One of my favorite neighborhoods to nestle is in New York on the lower east side. Not quite yet developed, it is an oasis of inspiration and artful emerging talent. One of my favorite spots to eat and drink is QUARTINO. It's motto is "Eat organic today and preserve nature for future generations". It is mindful and friendly and yet still evokes a soulful, european feel. This is my kind of place: good for the stomach and the soul! The menu is simple and seasonal, mastering only a few favorite dishes, all of them satisfying and delicious. The staff is friendly and hip, yet not trying to be more than they authentically are.

Put it on your list of favorites!

Quartino
11 Bleecker Street {@Bowery}
New York, New York 10012
212. 529.5133

Buon Appetito!

Alisa Barry Copyright 2007

No comments: