Cooking for the love of it


Even if you love to cook, there are times when cooking is simply about getting food on the table and sustenance in our stomachs.  

And then there are the times when cooking is all about the LOVE. 
Cooking for those we love, with love.


This past week a dear friend needed some serious TLC.  We've been friends for over twenty years and, not surprisingly, our love fest started at the table.  A mutual friend and fellow foodie introduced us over marinated olives and egg salad sandwiches.  It was love at first bite.  For many years we ate often together, mostly at her house and mostly cooking together in the kitchen. It has been too many more to count that we haven't.  I didn't realize how much I missed our cooking rituals until I got into the my own kitchen this past weekend to cook a few meals for her while she was recuperating from a recent hospital visit. 


It also reminded me why I love to cook. It's an offering and an altar of artistic expression. It's a way to soothe the soul; a delicious salve that can heal all kinds of wounds. It's how we connect with those we love and recollect those we miss.  It is, above all, a way to nourish and nurture us wholly, whether we're the ones who are putting the meal together or savoring at the table. 


For a few days after my visit to stock her fridge, my friend sweetly texted me about how she loved the flavors of the dishes I had prepared. In those few words, I felt her strength regain and her spirit revive.  I'm convinced that intention is everything. Food tastes good when good goes into it. Good ingredients, good loving. 


I'm hoping we won't have to wait for another event like this to get us sitting down to share a meal together.  Life is short and time does indeed fly by.  No time like now to enjoy with those you love. 






Buon appetito! copyright 2011 Alisa Barry

9 comments:

LisaKnowsTea said...

So true, I couldn't agree more. Food and tea for that matter is so much more than filling your tummy or quenching your thirst! Thanks for sharing and reminding me of that! Lisa

cissy said...

So very true, thank you for reminding us and sharing! I visited your store and fell in love. I have been following your bog and so enjoy it.

Alisa Barry said...

lisa,

Yes! Tea is such a soothing source of warmth and healing for me too. Drinking tea is a regular ritual at my house.

thanks for sharing!

Alisa Barry said...

cissy

thanks so much for adding to the conversation.
And, thanks for your enthusiasm about the store.
check back in mid-may. We'll be two doors down and selling fresh foods!

buon appetito!
alisa

Culinary School: Three Semesters of Life, Learning, and Loss of Blood said...

Food is love. I learned that when I was a culinary school student (I wrote about it here, if you're interested: "Culinary School: Three Semesters of Life, Learning, and Loss of Blood" http://amzn.to/eOKJWw - on Amazon Kindle).

Garage Equipment said...

Its fun to eat when the food we eat is yummy. But its much fun to eat when the food we eat is with art.

Art Epicurean said...

You have said it perfectly !"It's an offering and an altar of artistic expression. It's a way to soothe the soul; a delicious salve that can heal all kinds of wounds. It's how we connect with those we love and recollect those we miss. It is, above all, a way to nourish and nurture us wholly, whether we're the ones who are putting the meal together or savoring at the table. "

Thank you for this.

LoveFeast Table said...

A friend shared this post with me today, because she knew how much I agree with every word and morsel you shared. Thank you.
~Kristin

Alisa Barry said...

Kristin,

I am so glad you found me and so touched by your comments. {and love the words you use.}

please stop by to savor more often.

buon appetito!
alisa