Luxury Living as a way of life

It's no secret that I like the finer things in life. The reality is, I live pretty simply.
My kitchen tells that story best.  I only own a few knives, a food processor and a blender. Not much else needed. I believe that if you have high quality, you don't need a lot of quantity.

The same holds true for most areas of my life.

I own a few pairs of good shoes, two rolling racks of clothing {mostly black + white- makes getting dressed oh, so easy}. I've learned that shopping for bargains is not really a bargain at all. That's not to say that I don't love to buy on sale! What I mean is that  a well-made piece of clothing is, for me, a best investment. I wear it more often {and mostly to death through the season}. It's what I feel most comfortable wearing and when I look my best.  Look good= feel good. Feel good= look good.

I think the same can be said of food.  When I buy good ingredients, food not only tastes better, but I feel better.  No doubt it has had a positive affect on my health.  Sure, locally grown is more expensive, but I am of the school of thought that it doesn't have to be inaccessible.  A pound of broccoli cooked in risotto rice does not cost more than a McDonald's combo meal.  I think what it comes down to, is the question "what is a priority in your life?"

For me, the fine living is luxury living. Luxury can mean simple. Sexy up sparkling water with a squeeze of clementine and a spring of mint.  Eating elegantly off a porcelain vs. paper plate.  Using a lamp at my desk instead of turning on the abrasive florescent lights.


Buon appetito! copyright 2010 Alisa Barry

No comments: