Oven Roasted Tomatoes, Fresh Ricotta + Basil Pasta


It's the last hurrah for tomatoes from the garden. The final round of sweet 100's, black crim, roma, and cherry reds have been picked. The vines are happily exhausted from a bountiful summer's harvest. They're now ready give up their green space for fall's new crop - arugula, okra and butternut squash. .

I love tomatoes, but by the end of the season, I'm looking for new and interesting ways to cook and eat them. God forbid I ever take them for granted! Slowly oven roasting tomatoes is my answer. When cooked in a low temperature oven for several hours, the tomatoes become concentrated and sweet. Really sweet- almost like a savory sugar candy. Originally, my idea was to can them in extra virgin olive oil, but I seriously doubt they are going to make it that far.


OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES, FRESH RICOTTA + BASIL PASTA

Preheat oven to 225 degrees.

To make the oven roasted tomatoes:
Cut each tomato in half lengthwise. Place cut side up on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the tomatoes lightly with salt. Place in the oven and cook 6-7 hours, or until tomatoes are soft and sweet and about half their original size. If they still need more cooking, you can turn off the oven and let the residual heat cook them further. Let cool. Use right away or put them in a jar, cover with oil and refrigerate for about a week, depending on how much moisture is left in the tomato. {The more dried out the tomatoes are, the longer they will keep}.

To prepare the pasta:
1 pound dried pasta
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup fresh ricotta
1/2 cup Sun-dried tomato pesto * optional, but utterly delicious, if added
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 cup oven roasted tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
10-12 fresh basil leaves

Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain.
In a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil and ricotta. Mix just until blended, but not completely smooth.
I really like the chunky texture. Add the pasta, pesto, salt and pepper to the ricotta mixture.
Mix just until the pasta is well-coated. Tear the basil into pieces and add to the pasta. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Serves four to six.


Buon appetito!
copyright 2009 Alisa Barry

2 comments:

Gift Baskets said...

This looks delicous! My favorite way to fix tomatoes is have them barbecued on the grill just slightly burnt. I am going to try this recipe because I am a tomato fanatic!

Anonymous said...

Alisa- While out sick from work with a minor sports-related injury I have been able to re-discover my joy of cooking! I especially love recipes that include ingredients, such as the use of tomatoes in this one, that we eat everyday but are used to create a delicious new dish. Thanks for keeping me inspired with my newfound hobby. Buon appetito! ~Alexis