Boysenberry Buttermilk Cake


For those of you that have been following my cooking in the kitchen, you know that sweets are not my thing.
I enjoy something dolci from time to time, but I rarely have cravings to eat sweet and even less of an urge to bake.
That was until I found this recipe.

I have probably made it a half-a- dozen times since I discovered it in last month's issue of Gourmet magazine.
It's packed with fresh fruit of the season and can be served warm or room temperature, with whipped cream or ice cream, or nothing it all. The original recipe calls for raspberries, but you can substitute with whatever fruit is in season-- berries, stone fruit, tree fruit. By the end of the year, I should have a dozen or so new recipes just with this one cake batter. I like to use the cute little wood pani-bois pans.

Besides being scrumptious, it's REALLY easy to make. I wouldn't even bother, otherwise.

This past weekend I was up in Highlands, North Carolina for a wonderful event. I stopped by a wonderful little gourmet grocery in Cashier's and happened up the most magnificent boysenberries . Still warm from picking, they were big and sweet and a whole tub was going home with me.
So, I made some cake.

hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.




BOYSENBERRY BUTTERMILK CAKE

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar {for topping}
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh berries

Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Line a cake pan with parchment paper.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Beat the butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat well.
At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.
Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter berries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar.
Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.





Buon appetito!
copyright 2009 Alisa Barry

No comments: