Whole Wheat Crusted Pan Sauteed Okra


I am in love with okra. The first time I laid eyes on it was on my first date with my sweetheart. Not being a southern girl, I was a bit hestitant. I had always heard about okra, and other southern "delicacies" being cooked to death down to an undiscernable mush. Well, this date changed everything.

The okra I tasted was crunchy and crisp, salty and earthy. I love both the texture and the taste. I was saved. It was love at first bite- the okra that is. {and, yes, the boy is still by my side.}

Here is one of many okra recipes that I love:

2 large handfuls okra
1 whole egg
1 cup whole wheat flour
salt + pepper
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil

Wash, cut and trim the end off the okra. Dry them well.
In another shallow dish, crack the egg and whip it with a whisk or fork until it is mixed thoroughly.
In a shallow dish, place the flour with about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper



Heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat in a large saute pan.
Dip the okra into the egg, then dredge in the flour. Remove the excess flour and place gently into the saute pan.
Cook until the okra is crisp and light brown. Turn over gently and cook on the over side just until it has the same color and texture.

Remove from the pan. Taste for seasoning, and enjoy!








Buon appetito!
copyright 2009 Alisa Barry

No comments: