Grilled Peach + Radicchio+ Mint Salad


Georgia peaches are rolling in a specialty grocer and I bought a few. I was very skeptical. I have bought enough to know that what looks like a nice soft fuzzy delicious peach on the outside would disappoint my tastebuds as I bite into a cardboard-like texture and taste on the inside. It's still a bit early for stone fruit at the farmer's market {which I KNOW will offer good peaches when they do}, but what the heck...I am an inpatient kind of cook and I thought I would get a hint of what was coming around this season.

Thankfully, this batch I bought was utterly sweet + juicy + so, so good.
Of course, it might have help that I slathered them in strips of fresh mint and cooked them over the Tuscan hard wood grill {read: lots of delicious smokey flavor}. And, to top it off, I drizzled them with my new favorite condiment, saba.
They were so yummy just as they were, I wondered if I should continue with my salad......and I'm glad I did.

I have never made this recipe before and I love when it turns out even better than I can imagine. Sometimes, recipes are a well-thought out plan, and other times, like this, I just some wonderful ingredients, head to the kitchen to start cooking and see what comes out. Well, I think it came out. I hope you agree.
Here is my easy summer salad using the grilled peaches. You can also use nectarines. Or even pears would be wonderful! Be creative and see what wonderful dish you end up with in your own kitchen.

GRILLED PEACH + RADICCHIO + MINT SALAD

2 ripe, peaches
8-10 leaves of fresh mint
2 small heads of radicchio
1 teaspoon Tuscan Rose + Pink Peppercorn salt {or use a salt of your choice}
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons Saba
2 ounces Tuma cheese {fresh mozzarella or fresh pecorino will also do well}

Prepare the fire for the grill.

Wash and cut the peaches in half. Remove the stones. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil. Chiffonade {cut into thin strips} 4 of the mint leaves and sprinkle on the peach. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.



NOTE: you may want to make a few extra for another meal- serve with roasted pork or vanilla ice cream .

Cut the radicchio heads in half. You should have four pieces. Drizzle with 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.



Place the peaches and radicchio on the grill. Don't move the peaches for a few minutes so they brown + caramelize, which will help them easily come off the grill. {about 3 -5 minutes}. They should be soft, but not falling apart. Gently remove from the grill with a spatula to a cutting board or plate. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of the saba while the peaches are still hot so they absorb some of the liquid. Set aside to cool enough to handle.
** You can stop right here an enjoy the grilled peaches with a dollop of whipped cream or mascarpone mix with a bit of vanilla and organic sugar. Or....keep going.

The radicchio will be done on the first side when the edges of the leaves begin to brown. When the first side is nice and browned, turn over and grill the other side. The first side will take a bit longer {about 3-4 minutes}.The second side will take just a minute or two. Remove from the grill to a cutting board or plate and set aside to cool enough to handle.

Slice the tuma into 1/2 inch pieces. Place in a medium bowl. Chiffonade remaining 4 mint leaves and add to the bowl.
When cool enough to handle, slice the peaches into 1/4 inch wedges. Cut the radicchio crosswise into 1/4 inch slices.
Add to the bowl and gently toss. Drizzle with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of Saba and toss again, just until combined.
Serve right away.


serves two.






Buon appetito!
copyright 2009 Alisa Barry

No comments: