Summer Salads


My weekly excursions to the farmer's market have inspired many a recipe. When I recently saw this photo I had taken several weeks ago at the Union Square Farmer's Market in New York City, a summer salad came to mind.

SUMMER SALAD
1 Bunch radishes {icicle, french, easter egg or whatever variety the market has for sale}, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch rounds
1 Bunch carrots, cut crosswise into 1/4 rounds
1 handful Italian argula leaves, washed and dried, keep leaves whole
a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
a sprinkling of Maldon sea salt
a turn of cracked black pepper

This should make for a nicely refreshing, crunchy summer salad for this afternoon's late alfresco lunch with friends. It will be a meal of many bites, my favorite way to eat. We'll start with toasted fennel & sultana bread sliced and toasted until a golden brown, then topped with a knob of grayson cow's milk cheese. Fresh figs from the backyard garden continue to be on the menu-they are still producing handfuls each day! I'll wrap them around salty sweet slices of San Daniele proscuitto and serve them with cold slices of dewy spanish melon. Fresh Georgia shrimp in the shell will be fun to peel and eat once we grill them over hardwood. I think I will make a lemony garlic herb aioli mayonaise for dipping, with just a touch of peperoncino for a nice spicey kick.
I always forget about dessert because I don't really have a sweet tooth for traditional cakes and such. I am betting that plenty of chilled glasses of bubbly prosecco will make us all forget we ever forgot.

Buon appetito!

alisa barry copyright 2007

No comments: